Original Article 9
Chapter II. Renunciation of War
1. Aspiring sincerely to an international peace based on justice and order, the Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes.
2. In order to accomplish the aim of the preceding paragraph, land, sea, and air forces, as well as other war potential, will never be maintained. The right of belligerency of the state will not be recognized.
Draft new Article 9 by LDP as proposed on April 27, 2012
Chapter II. National Security
Section 1. Pacifism
1. Aspiring sincerely to an international peace based on justice and order, the Japanese people renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation, and refrain from the use of threat and use of force as means of settling international disputes.
2. The preceding paragraph shall not preclude the exercise of right to self-defense.
Section 2. National Defense Force
1. In order to ensure peace and independence of Japan as well as safety of the state and the Japanese people, a National Defense Force shall be maintained under the supreme command of the Prime Minister.
2. The execution of the duties of the National Defense Force as prescribed in the preceding paragraph shall be governed by the approval of the National Diet and other rules and regulations as provided by the law.
3. Aside from activities taken in execution of its duties as prescribed in section (1) of this paragraph, the National Defense Force shall be allowed, as provided by the law, to commit itself to activities taken in cooperation with the international community for the purpose of maintaining international peace and security, activities taken for the purpose of maintaining public order, and/or activities taken for the purpose of protecting the lives and freedom of the Japanese people.
4. Aside from provisions as prescribed in section (2) of this paragraph, matters regarding the organization, governance and confidentiality of the National Defense Force shall be determined by the law.
5. In order to prosecute military service personnel and other public official for the crimes committed pertaining to its execution of duties and/or breach of confidentiality, a tribunal shall be established under the National Defense Force. Upon prosecution, the rights to appeal of the defendant to a higher court must be ensured.
Section 3. Preservation of territorial integrity
In order to preserve its sovereignty and independence, the state must, in cooperation with the Japanese people, commit to preserving territorial integrity of the land, sea, and air, and securing its resources.